Welcome to the Lazarus Union !
Leadership Academy of the LAZARUS UNION
To the report, click the picture!
Official Statement and Position of the
Regarding the Global Refugee Situation
The term “refugee“ is generally used in this statement for all kinds of immigrants regardless of war refugee, economic refugee or illegal immigrant (for whatsoever reasons as illegal is and REMAINS illegal). We will maintain this position according to our mission statement also in the bodies and committees of the United Nations ECOSOC (where the LAZARUS UNION as NGO with special consultative status has the right to file proposals and to deliver speeches).
In the past days, weeks, and months we have been asked several times what is the position of the LAZARUS UNION regarding the current refugee situation which currently inundates Europe. The LAZARUS UNION mission statement is still valid and there are no plans to modify it. Yet we consider it appropriate to sharpen and render more precisely our mission statement and to enhance it with some “rough edges.“
(From the LAZARUS UNION-CSLI statutes (§ 19))
The CSLI is an independent private relief organisation after the ideals and in the spirit of St. Lazarus. Its members are united by the mission to delight other people, provide disaster relief, care for handicapped fellow persons, and support the homeless. We act pro bono, come from all groups of age, professions, and society.
Refugees are not mentioned explicitly in our mission statement. We without any reservation confess to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) from 1948 and the Convention relating to the Status of Refugees (aka Geneva Convention). But as the great number of refugees is an enormous strain not only for the refugees themselves but also for ALL affected countries and their population some things need an INTERNATIONAL solution.
We pay respect to all people. We accept them as they are, regardless of their nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, social standing, and background.
It is absolutely unacceptable that this respect is a one-way road. Just as we show respect to other people we have to demand the same respect also towards us, the public authorities, the executive, and all national facilities. It simply is absolutely unacceptable that people seeking protection with us at the same time disregard our values and refuse to accept them fully or even accept them at all because those values are different from theirs, having developed differently over centuries in a different culture area.
We place out emphasis on the quality of the relations. We provide room for the development of self-esteem and livelihood responsibility.
To guarantee this principle in the future also (considering the more and more “overturning“ public mood against the refugees which has to be urgently counter-steered to avoid not providing legitimate asylum chances to war refugees in accordance with the Human Rights Carta), we think the following steps have to be taken:
- Spots must be installed urgently (at EU embassies, EU borders, perhaps even with the Red Cross or the Red Crescent etc.) where refugees can officially apply for asylum and where this application will be decided upon QUICKLY, perhaps even at the application location. This would be fair on the refugees but also fair on the population of those countries which finally will provide asylum to these people, besides it ruins the “business model“ of the people smugglers
- It HAS to be made unmistakably clear to all asylum seekers what are valid preconditions for asylum to be granted and that a special country for final asylum can only be asked for under VERY special circumstances. Asylum seekers have ALWAYS to tell the truth. Untruths will be considered as abuse of the hospitality of the receiving country. If such untruths turn out during the procedure for granting the right of asylum (or later) this must lead to an immediate stop of the procedure and eviction with prohibition to come back for several years, if such is in accordance with the rules of law, as any cheating prevents a positive asylum procedure. (Here special attention and sternness must be paid to forged documents like forged passports etc.) This has also to apply to ILLEGAL immigration if a LEGAL application procedure would have been possible!
- Persons not qualifying for refugee status have to be turned back immediately, if necessary with financial aid from the EU. Refugees arriving without documents (those are often thrown away to avoid identification) must wait in a transit area until their identity can be verified. If this is not possible within some reasonable period of time and they do not cooperate they must also be sent back to guarantee the security of the receiving countries. Someone who has something to hide cannot ask for right to hospitality! Humanitarian rights of abode must be considered nevertheless.
- The laws and the culture respectively the lifestyle of the host country must be accepted and followed by ALL asylum seekers during their stay without restrictions, independently of which laws and religions they had to follow in their former home countries. If they break any laws in their host country this consequently has to lead to an immediate stop of the procedure and eviction with prohibition to come back. These regulations HAVE to be made clear to all asylum seekers as soon as possible (even back in their home countries).
- Local assistance in the home countries of the asylum seekers and in existing camps need to be dramatically improved by the “rich“ countries. Even if this does cost money. Nobody takes refuge voluntarily and leaves his homeland if the situation has not become unbearable (by all means even subjectively from the refugees‘ point of view) and one‘s life is in danger.
We face the challenge of ever-changing tasks. We are bound by team spirit. There are continually manifold chances for spiritual and personal development.
If these five items mentioned above will be implemented CONSEQUENTLY we believe that the community of states can handle this great challenge of our time (single countries are DEFINITELY hopelessly overextended and risk their inner stability and the cooperativeness of their population).
Asylum for all who qualify without any “ifs and buts.“ A clear NO with all rigidity to asylum misuse. (whereupon asylum misuse is difficult to define – in principle every person has the right to apply and take legal action in succession. If the application is turned back, procedure has to be taken in accordance with the principle of a lawful state, so technically there is no asylum misuse. If someone fades into the crowd or hides they technically have not been granted asylum (which is misused) but stay in the country illegally which again technically is no asylum misuse.)
EVERYBODY, even governments and their representatives as well as ALL asylum seekers have to obey valid laws in effect. There can be NO exception!
Our friends and supporters we give transparency and security in return for their support. The resources donated we use appropriately, competently, economically, and responsibly.
The LAZARUS UNION collects neither member fees nor entrance fees and so has only very limited means. Our largest “value“ is our attitude every LAZARUS UNION member lives in THEIR personal field. We primarily are a COMMUNITY IN ATTITUDE represented all over the world and so can contribute much to convince also other humans of this attitude. Nobody is free of bias and doubt. We must fight those REALISTICALLY (also in ourselves) and only so can live up to our mission statement.
Oriented at our moral values we accept every person in their own uniqueness. Our doing and thinking is guided by our love of people, trust, carefulness, joy, self-responsibility, courage, and a willingness to conciliation.
If we succeed in planting those moral values also into the hearts of the refugees we can contribute a lot for all. We are FULLY aware that this will be very difficult (for us as well as for the refugees). Yet we will try! He who has nothing to hide does use the door and not the window. To welcome anybody it is necessary to know who he is, where he comes from and how to address him! Only then any sustainable assistance is possible.
The main principles of the CSLI are tolerance, humbleness, mercy, and brotherly love.
Let us beware of ANY way of extremism. This is dangerous and NEVER can lead to success! Yet the refugees are also called upon not to misuse our trust and to prove themselves worthy of our hospitality.
Everybody can do something.
Let us TOGETHER provide new perspectives.
For the LAZARUS UNION
Senator h.c. Wolfgang Steinhardt
President and Union Commander
Grand Master of the Knighthood of Honour
Vienna, October 2015
Culture of Welcome
Finally a word on our position regarding the “culture of welcome“:
It is an obligation of civilised states to respect and to live human rights. Of course this does include acceptance of asylum seekers! If not permanently then at least for some time.
Yet we refuse to share the “joy decreed from above“ that “finally the strongly desired refugees“ also are with us and we strongly protest against being considered xenophobic or even worse.
Three reasons we are not pleased at all:
- We are not pleased that there is so much war in this world and that man is not able to live together with his neighbour in peace and respect, respecting, understanding, and accepting each other.
- We are not pleased that people have to turn refugee at all as we very well can understand how desperate these people must be, leaving behind their homes and all their possessions, as little as those may be.
- We are but also not pleased that these refugees of all things now want to come to our country as we (Europe and the Western world) are held responsible by those people for their personal situation (rightfully or not is irrelevant) and as cultural and religious differences are often enormous, something that makes REAL integration very difficult if not impossible, also making those people not really happy in their asylum.
But: Even if we are not pleased we must do what we can within the scope of our possibilities to help. This is our duty as humans!
US change of command
Zum Bericht Bild anklicken!
To the report, click the Picture!
The NEW SAINT LAZARUS MAGAZINE is here!
Issue 11/July 2015
We thank very much LtCol CSLI Sven Tratschitt for this issue!
For the German version click the picture !
For the ENGLISH version click HERE !
E-book version GERMAN click HIER !
E-book version ENGLISH click HERE !
The LAZARUS UNION – CSLI is neutral towards all “Lazarus Groups” or “Orders of Saint Lazarus” and is equally close or distant to all of them (depending on your point of view). Any other representation or description, links or other „usurpation” are therefore undesirable, obsolete, inaccurate and counterproductive for our self-declared neutrality.
….and first of all, the following information should not be held back:
The Lazarus Union is neither a “self-styled” order, nor a member of any order, something it clearly and publicly states in its official (by law and approved by the authorities) statutes.
The Lazarus Union is a non-profit association.
The Lazarus Union is fully registered and recognized in the public official register according to Austrian laws.
The Lazarus Union is legally obligated to hold an annual general assembly.
The Lazarus Union must officially publish its management, visible for everybody.
The Lazarus Union is non-political and nondenominational.
The Lazarus Union is required by law to have its finances checked annually by two auditors.
The Lazarus Union is a registered UN-NGO organisation with special consultative Status with ECOSOC.
The Lazarus Union every year publishes the minutes of its general assembly.
The Lazarus Union every year publishes ist audit report and submits it to the UN.
The Lazarus Union does not pay any reimbursement to any member as stated in the statutes.
The Lazarus Union has to prove its legal and financial status to the United Nations.
The Lazarus Union spends less than 2% of the total budget for “administrative” costs for years already.
The Lazarus Union elects its management during the general assembly in democratic way.
The Lazarus Union does not differ between “the president“ and a “common“ member.
The Lazarus Union has the rule that all members have the same rights and duties.
The Lazarus Union does not collect membership or application fees, any donations are voluntary.
The Lazarus Union is an open organisation with no “hidden” issues or secrets.
These documents (see LINK ) any serious organisation should be able to present to all interested parties without any problems at any time, no matter what. At any rate all these documents should fully and unambiguously bear the full name the organisation is using publicly.
If this information is missing: exercise extreme caution!
It is obvious to us that not all “Lazarus Groups” and “Lazarus Orders” are happy with the openness and transparency of the Lazarus Union. But in our times, if you consider joining one of the various “Lazarus Orders” or “Lazarus Orders”, check for your own safety and security very carefully all these things before you sign any paper of membership or other commitment. If you refrain from doing so, it may cost you a lot of money for nothing. Some of these organisations do not even have a clear legal status or are no legal personality and can therefore not be prosecuted easily. The Lazarus Union is anxious to make sure that the name “Lazarus” is not misused for any form of deceptive business practices
If you have any questions which are not answered on our homepage, do not hesitate to ask us whatever you like to know.
Now have a pleasant stay on our website!
The web team of the Lazarus Union
Overview of the LAZARUS UNION
(now 32 pages)
To the folder click the picture please!
(PDF File for print out)
Note: Print out double side, fold in the middle and cut it 10cm!
The LAZARUS UNION has roots dating back to 1973 and developed (with a few detours) into today‘s form in 2010. With currently more than 18.000 members in more than 80 countries on all continents the LAZARUS UNION is at the moment the largest of all “Lazarus-Formations“ worldwide.
The LAZARUS UNION is also with the United Nations as an NGO (Non Governmental Organization) in “Special Consultant and Observer Status” with the United Nations (ECOSOC).
According to its possibilities the LAZARUS UNION is a world-wide operating charity organisation supporting all who are in need of help, friendship, comfort, or care.
The LAZARUS UNION is open for all people who are able to identify themselves with the mission statement of the LAZARUS UNION and does NEVER ask for the denomination of its members.
The LAZARUS UNION considers and respects this right of freedom of religion as the sole and personal moral issue of every singe member. After all, most religions of the world are represented in the LAZARUS UNION.
The LAZARUS UNION vigorously resists any and all “assimilation“ attempts from certain religions and their representatives and stresses the full neutrality of the LAZARUS UNION against all religious communities.
The LAZARUS UNION never puts any form of pressure on its members and leaves participation in religious activities solely in the conscience of the single member.
The LAZARUS UNION is therefore NEITHER a religious NOR a secular order and as such neither indebted to ANY particular religious group or organization nor does it allow itself to be taken in by any religious group.
This self-portrayal is valid for the complete LAZARUS UNION as well as for the LAZARUS UNION Knighthood of Honour as a knightly association!
The Executive Board of Management
Vienna, April 2015
Dear homepage visitor!
Dear comrades and supporters!
In January 2012 we presented our new homepage on the web and so created an excellent and efficient source of information (at least we think it is) for more than 17.000 members (actual July 2014), friends, and sympathisers worldwide. More than 600.000 hits in 2012 and more than 700.000 in the year 2013 bear testimony to this.
Besides general information on the LAZARUS UNION (goals, organisation, uniforms, awards, shop…) we strive to provide quick information on actual and planned events.
Since January 2012 all articles and information pages are available in German and English (the official communication language of the LAZARUS UNION). Older articles and reports are (unfortunately) still available in German only.
We would very much appreciate your suggestions and comments as only this can prevent us from becoming potentially routine-blinded. As it has due to the sheer size and structure of the full-size LAZARUS UNION become impossible to interact with all members, commanders, and partner groups always directly we kindly ask you to direct any questions or requests only to
and we reassure you that every e-mail will be forwarded to the responsible contact and in general will also be answered respectively the sender will be contacted within 48 hours. We all in the LAZARUS UNION do (unpaid) voluntary work and as such have only a limited amount of time available to work on these voluntary tasks. In 2012 we received 28.376 e-mails and wrote 17.597 answers. In 2013 we received 30.189 e-mails and wrote 19.871 answers!
We hope that our website gives you pleasure in 2014 and that yopu enjoy your visit!
The webmaster team of the LAZARUS UNION-CSLI
To make sure you do not have to search too hard all links pointing to new reports can be found under the GERMAN entry NEWS on this page. For English translation use the “language button”.
Within the framework of events of the LAZARUS UNION-CSLI video recordings and / or photos can be made. By participating in these events, the participants are agreed with the publication of these recordings.